04/02/2010

I live in Guildford

Guildford is a lovely little town. It's got everything you need, like London but smaller! More convenient. It's just that... some days... Well I just joined this group on facebook called "Shit London" (quite hilarious actually, you should have a look). Some days when I walk in to work all I see is Shit Guildford.

I'm not from England as some of you may know. I'm from Sweden. I wouldn't normally consider myself a patriot. In fact I think patriots as boasting, narrow-minded, inexperienced people. I mean, it's pathetic really. What so bloody good about your country, huh? Just because you happen to be born there... Pffft! I like to think I’m above all that. Hell yeah I embrace the world, wherever I go!

But here I am finding myself feeling unpleasantly at home at IKEA. Believe me I'm trying desperately to fight it, yet I keep getting into arguments with people about bathroom standards and carpets. My swearing vocabulary has changed from the standard “shit” and “damn” to “jävla U-land”. In fact I tend to blame a lot of my daily problems on England nowadays. Well to be honest, carpets in every form should be banned (and NO, it is not in any way great to have a carpet in the bathroom no matter how people claim they “suck the damp and moist right up”. That’s what you have VENTILATION for. Ventilation. It’s good stuff, look it up!).

I know I’m being unfair, but seeing as I live here now I feel I have earned the right to complain a bit.

So, to all you British people: I’m sorry. But THIS is what we call U-land.




2 comments:

  1. Loving the new blog, it's inspired! I understand where you're coming from with the unpatriotic patriotism (or is it patriotic unpatriotism?) I'm not patriotic either, in fact on occasion the contrary, but there's something about being in a foreign land, or group of people, and being the only foreigner that really backs you into a corner and makes you come out swinging. Oh and i'm also with you on carpets in bathrooms, that's a no no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was being unusually whiny and annoying pointing out all the things that we do better in Sweden, but I guess it's just a symptom of this country. Nowadays I even find myself enjoying the bus trips from Skavsta to Stockholm on our beautiful motorways. I'm glad I'm not alone in my otherwise very unswedish complacency.

    /Jonatan

    ReplyDelete